May 10, 2023
Re: The Nomination of Dr. Jared Bernstein to be Chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers
Dear Members of the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs:
We the undersigned organizations oppose the nomination of Dr. Jared Bernstein to be the Chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers (CEA). As a current member of the CEA, Bernstein has downplayed the effect of inflation on American consumers, advocated for significant tax hikes, supported big government spending in the so-called “Inflation Reduction Act,” and advocated for government subsidies to prop-up Green New Deal policies that discriminate against fossil fuels and distort the U.S. energy market— subjecting consumers to higher energy prices at the pump and on their utility bills.
Specifically, we oppose Bernstein’s nomination for the following reasons:
- He facilitated the idea that inflation would be “transitory,” which tells the world that he does not understand what causes inflation and therefore how to reduce it (e.g., spending reform)
- He has advocated for a higher federal gas tax, which he says is a “carbon tax.”
- He has supported a potentially unconstitutional wealth tax and additional Internal Revenue Service (IRS) enforcement funding.
- He has supported a financial transaction tax (FTT).
- He has supported raising taxes on private fund advisers even thoughit could slow investment in new housing in states like Arizona.
- He has supported government intervention in the U.S. energy market via the Green New Deal.
It is abundantly clear that Bernstein is a far left-wing progressive who will promote purely partisan policies to the detriment of American taxpayers and small businesses.
We ask that you vote in opposition to Bernstein’s nomination during the markup being held on Thursday, May 11, 2023.
Grover Norquist President
Americans for Tax Reform
Chief Government Affairs Officer Americans for Prosperity
American Accountability Foundation
President / CEO
American Consumer Institute
Center for a Free Economy
Competitive Enterprise Institute
Heritage Action for America
Heather R. Higgins
Independent Women’s Voice
Seton Motley President
Saulius “Saul” Anuzis President
60 Plus Association
James L. Martin
Founder/Chairman 60 Plus Association